VOLUME 2, ISSUE 5
Help us help you! Click here to fill out a quick survey so we can better understand your needs and help your business grow!
ABOUT VIBRANT RIOJA
Vibrant Rioja is a partnership between the governing body for wines from Rioja, Spain – called the Consejo Regulador de la Denominación de Origen Calificada Rioja – and Wines from Spain, under the auspices of the Spanish Institute for Foreign Trade (ICEX).
Our goal is to raise awareness and educate consumers and trade professionals on wines from the Rioja region. Email us your questions or comments at:
WELCOME TO RIOJA BUILDS RESTAURANTS, A NEWSLETTER FOR THE ON-PREMISE AND FOOD SERVICE TRADE BROUGHT TO YOU BY VIBRANT RIOJA. We will be presenting news, trends and ideas to help you build your on-premise business. We will cover anything in relation to the wine industry and the food-service business as a whole. Then, we’ll bring it straight to you in short, concise bites that are aimed to help.
Though there are some reasons to celebrate as the economy keeps showing improvement, U.S. consumers are still cautious when it comes to spending, according to a Nielsen study presented at its Consumer 360 Conference. Among the most interesting insights was the discrepancy between Millennials and those of an older generation: Millennials intend to go out much more often than those aged 55+. In addition, consumers who traded down were generally satisfied with the quality of the wines and are likely to continue buying less expensive wines. (Nielsen News Release, July 2010)
So, what can we do?
The best thing we can do given these findings is to adhere to our customers needs. Keep offering your customers value and quality wines and keep recommending different things. Don’t forget to tell stories as they create an emotional link between you, the product and the customer. And remember that Rioja has some of the biggest variety out there, so keep offering them to your clients.
NextGen Wine Competition
On June 13 and 14, the U.S. held its first ever competition judged by Millennials – 21 to 35 year-old wine professionals. Millennials are a large number of the wine drinking demographic. Peter Vars, manager of Thomas Liquors and part of the judging panel, states that “the world of wine to Millennials is about value and sharing.” (WineBusiness.com, June 2010)
So, what can we do?
Understanding your customers is a necessity in our business. And being able to tailor to the Millennial generation is incredibly important, as they make up for a significant slice of the wine market in the U.S. Millennials are all about value and quality, so make sure you’re able to offer them what they want. Don’t forget to offer them Rioja wines!
What: Midsummer’s Night Scene Rioja Party & Trade Event
When: Monday, June 21st, 2010 9pm-2am
Where: NYC Wine Class, 167 23rd Street
Organizer: Adrian Murcia
Our Vibrant Rioja Sommelier Adrian Murcia kicked off the summer trade program “A Midsummer’s Night Scene,” hosting the late-night party on June 21 at NYC Wine class in Manhattan, where guests mingled while tasting and learning about blanco, rosado and tinto Rioja.
We had some exciting press and trade attendance, including ABC News Now, Reuters, Wine & Spirits, Wine Spectator, and trade including Colicchio and Sons, Otto Restaurant, Casa Mono, PJ Wine, Gramercy Tavern, ReMARKable Palate, and wine social media gurus Gabriella and Ryan Opaz, who covered the event on Catavino.net.
Aspen Daily News, Saturday June 19, 2010 Page 3: Jill Paradiso (center) Vibrant Rioja
What: Aspen Food and Wine Classic
When: June 18 – June 20
Where: Aspen, CO
Vibrant Rioja proudly sponsored the Aspen Food and Wine Classic in Colorado. From June 18- June 20, the festival hosted celebrity chefs including Giada De Laurentiis, Jose Andres, Mario Batali, Tom Colicchio, and Tony Abou-Ganim. For three days, the culinary masters and wine connoisseurs shared trade secrets and techniques with 5,000 foodies and vinophiles at over 80 cooking and wine seminars.
The Vibrant Rioja table saw excellent foot traffic, attracting approximately 1,000 people during the three day festival, where our team led attendees through Rioja tastings. We received positive feedback from the attendees, as they were impressed with Rioja quality, various styles, and very accessible price points.
WHAT CAN VIBRANT RIOJA OFER?
• Wine Sourcing -- we can put you in touch with importers and distributors to help you develop a wine program customized to your needs
• Education -- we partner with the Culinary Institute of America to offer seminars and tasting programs that can teach your staff about the Rioja region, characteristics of the wine, and appropriate food pairings
• Food & Wine Pairing -- we can draw on our many relationships with leading chefs and food-and-wine educators to develop an outstanding set of wine pairings for your menu
• Promotional Programs -- we can design and help execute different promotional programs to help you introduce your staff and customers to the wines of Rioja. Some sample programs are: Vibrant Rioja VIP Club – special tastings, food pairings, seminars and guided trips to the region; Vibrant Rioja Winedays – Build traffic on off nights; Vibrant Match – Try a tasting and pairing event customized to your offerings.
That's great, but… what else?
• Vibrant Rioja Materials – we can provide you with a wide range of educational and promotional tools --many customized to your needs. They include bottle-neckers, informational notebooks, maps, gift bags, tasting notes, food-pairing notes and much, much more. If you have an idea, we will try to work with you to produce it.